Monday, August 27, 2012

Brains to Brains

It's that time of the month again. That time when residents generally move from one service to another. Nothing less so for me. Onward from specialty surgery to general medicine...the antichrist, the polar opposite. I guess you have to fill those potential surgical hours with something. Might as well be hours and hours of rounds, discussion, and rounds again.

But this will be a good time to study for the next round of boards bound to be just around the corner, as they always are. Step 3 is the next "step" and the one "must do" before getting licensed in the U.S. as a physician. There are many 100's of folks in my same position, looking forward with great awe and nausea toward that next exam. I'm sure there is a tonic for that ailment.

If I learned anything on the brain service it is that there is a tonic for everything. And for everything that doesn't have a tonic, there's surgery. A chance to cut is a chance to cure.