Saturday, August 4, 2012

Cocaine

"Cocaine can constrict blood vessels in the brain, causing strokes. This can happen even in young people without other risk factors for strokes."

I've read that statement in countless books in school and journals studying the use of cocaine. I've always had a interest in the effect of drugs on the body growing up in South Florida where it's always been available. I've been interested in the effects since my days working in trauma and seeing the aftermath of use and abuse. I've seen people try to fly off balconies on LSD. drive into walls on alcohol and drive too fast for the curve on coke.

But nothing is more devastating than a deep brain bleed in a young person from a snort. It leaves the person alive but with greatly reduced function, with bills they can't pay, rehab that will never get them close to the way they were, and loved ones taking care of the rest. So sad.