Saturday, November 21, 2009

I Want to Teach When I Grow Up

I'd really like to teach again, at least one on one with an interested health care student. I miss the interaction and the cognition of the "ah ha" moments in others. I've missed seeing that here since it so rarely happens. And this sabbatical has really shown me a lot about good and bad teaching.

Good teaching is about passion, as well as reason. It's about motivating without coercion. It's about teaching others how to learn and making that lesson relevant, meaningful and memorable. It's about substance and treating students as consumers. It's about staying on top of the information you teach, and teaching relevant practical points over useless "I know more than you" knowledge. It's about bridging the gap between theory image and practice. It's about listening, being responsive and questioning if necessary. It's about pushing students to excel with reasonable expectations while being human, and respecting the student. It's about not having a fixed agenda, being too rigid but instead being flexible, and fluid. It's not about "finishing" the material. It's a creative balance between being a dictator and being a pushover. It's about style, entertainment and still filled with substance. It means working the room and addressing every student directly in that room. It's about recognizing individual learning styles, and proficiencies and working to address them. It's about not taking yourself too seriously and a sense of humor. It's about caring, nurturing and devoting time...not just to test and presentation creation but to the student. It is supported by strong visionary leadership with a strong vision of what is appropriate and necessary.

Having had REALLY good teachers has been a great blessing and a great curse. I cherish the interactions and the learning, but despise the level of expectation it has created in me. I think I miss out on opportunities because of that prejudice and I don't think I'll be able to accept less than the quality I've come to expect in others, and myself.  One of the dangers of being an older dude with a history.