Friday, July 10, 2009

40 something

It seems that right after any major break, there is a sigh of collective relief and then a counting down. That hasn't changed the entire time I've been here and the countdown has begun for the term. T minus 40 something days. I don't keep up to the day, but there are people here who know it to the minute. I have to admit I'm ready to be done to and with next exams 2 weeks away, it's only a matter of a few quick weeks before term break. I'm thrilled.

This block is a voluminous one filled with details and content, much either new to me or buried so far down in the recesses that retrieval is impossible. As always, I'll come up with what I need to succeed in two weeks, but this part of the process is so nerve wracking. Oh the pressures we put on ourselves.

But I have to admit that this stuff is great. I love the study, and the path has been particularly engaging with imagean interested, vibrant, totally engaging professor. Although I can't say that he has much competition...the others suck. I hope I didn't suck as bad when I was teaching. It's all I can do to stay awake and many, many of my colleagues have chosen to just stay home and study. One day it was me and 5 others in class. Frankly I don't blame them for staying home. Think the prof would get the message? Nah! There is only one thing worse than being an uneventful, uninspiring, boring professor...not knowing you are. It's sad. But our new dean says if they keep it up, they are out of here. They should be.  It's amazing how much medicine you can teach yourself, and lecture is such a terrible way to teach and learn anyway. I think I see the med school of the future :)

So we are on the down hill to the end of term, the rains of summer intermittently green up the lands and fill the cisterns, the heat is radiant off the poorly constructed cement streets. Thank good ness for the Caribe, the water and the small town diversions to keep me sane in the meantime. TGIFriday and the weekend promises some respite, catch up, and focus. Nothing much changes on an island, except maybe perspective.

image