Monday, December 3, 2012

End of Days

End of days?? Yay!! 
The story of the end of the world is fascinating and goes something like this Cliff Note summary.  Apparently the Sumerians of days gone by discovered the planet Nibiru and they surmised it was heading toward Earth. It was supposed to make impact with earth and destroy everything, including the midnight grill at the hospital, back in May 2003 (remember that?). Obviously it never happened and I started medical school and residency. So the owners of that cosmic thought shifted the date to this month.

Why this month? Conveniently the end of days event was linked with the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar and the winter solstice on 12/21/12. And I for one, am thrilled about the possibility of total destruction of residency and the medical system that we know and love as well as obliteration of all past memory of failed relationships, bad meals, even worse instructors, lousy chief residents, lame exams, pimping, aging, passive weight gain, car troubles, parking tickets, famine, pestilence, war and terrible frozen yogurt flavors. We, or at least I, really need a do-over mulligan.

I have absolutely no clue about Nibiru or the end of days. NASA says the planet doesn't exist and I believe the guys who put a remote control vehicle on Mars. But I am very excited to know of the possibility of total destruction or anything that will prevent me from cleaning my bathroom one more time. Peace be with each of you time travelers. May your cosmic journey be a safe one; Because I know who's on call in the ER and it won't be pretty. 
Namaste.