Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ready for the End

This is the last weekend of my first block. It was challenging. 319 hours in 4 weeks, just one short of a violation. Over 400 pages for services to the floor. Untold number of scut monkey activities and moments of potential humiliation by upper class folk and attendings sprinkled with a solid 1/2 dozen moments of amazing connections with family and/or patients.

And it's those few moments that fuel my love for what I'm doing and yearning for more. I think I can put up with almost anything as long as those moment continue. And I know that that part of the equation is up to me. Because I know I have little control over any of the rest of this madness and mayhem they call residency, filled with strange rules, hours, notions, myths and activities.

Yet at the end of any brutality is the notion that one can survive almost anything. And then onward to the next block of work, education and hopefully more time for me. Remarkably, I am about to survive and this is my last weekend. And, I think I'm ready!