Sunday, June 24, 2012

Longevity: 4 Years and 1/2 way

It's really been a long gestation, but I birthed the credentials that I've been working toward for the past 4+ (depending on how you count the years) . In no particular order:

  1. M.D. diploma
  2. ECFMG certification of education
  3. Residency match offer/acceptance
  4. State M.D. resident license

It's a slow, slow delivery with much frenzy in the last year, but the "quads" have been birthed. And as I start my unpaid orientation for residency, I'm excited to be at the 1/2 way point "finish" of my education and training as a physician.

image

Throw on top of that a new hospital I.D. card, some new embroidered coats, and it becomes an "ahhhh" (like right after the baby delivers) moment

This point in time was a distant dream when I first got accepted to medical school and began this trek. And I say 1/2 way because given a 4 year (maybe 5) residency/fellowship course of study to follow, I've literally only completed 1/2 of the necessary hurdles to full medical practice licensure and board certification.

The process to get to this point is truly amazing, on so many levels.  It's been a cascade of emotions, effort, trials, schedules, deadlines and processes. It's hard to believe sometimes that anyone actually completes this process, but with one day at a time, enjoying every single moment, it is possible and feels great.

image