Monday, March 12, 2012

Good Black Monday Morning

"It's the morning of the match and all through the apartment, not a creature was stirring, not even a zatch."

Ok, so I'll never win any literary awards. But I sorta feel like a zatch at this point.

This is the day, like the NFL draft, that the world of medical students dread and anticipate. For the past 9-12 months the application process, interviews, paperwork etc have the activity level up. It peaks today with the announcement of what these last years of medical school have been all about...matching student preferences with residency program needs, wants and wishes. Today, we'll all get emails from the national match program saying you matched or you didn't.

I believe there are nearly 50,000 people vying for 24,000 some odd positions this year. Knowing that, some will not "match" and will enter the supplemental application process or SOAP for unfilled positions. Then on Friday, the world will hear of "where" we will actually go and train for the next 3-7 years (depending on specialty). But for now, I can only be sure my email and wireless work so I can get the Black Monday message at noon today.

If I "survive" it's a match. If I don't, drive thru at McDonalds seems like a good alternative.

image