Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Respect and Stuff

Coming to the 1/2 way point of this monster, I realize that I've learned so much since I hit the start all bright eyed and bushy tailed. Not that I'm any less bright and bushy (cuz I'm not), but I've had some sense knocked into me for sure. I'm so thankful for the wonderful mentors and teachers along the way here. They are the reason I came and stayed in spite of the processes that threatened to derail us.

I came on faith and the recommendations of my friends who graduated from here now directors, practicing docs, residents and interns. They said that the campus was filled with role models, respect for the students and a pathway to the goal I sought. So I came, and learned.

image I've learned that respect is something that is earned, not demanded. I've learned that quality is created, not accidentally stumbled upon by filling up slides. I've learned that quality doesn't have to be packaged in a pretty building. I've learned that our students are some of he most tenacious, focused learners in spite of great adversity and forces willing to impede progress. I've learned that not all change is good change, and can be dangerous if not recognized as such. I've learned that often little things create the greatest footprint of impact and effect. I've learned that, at times, doing the right thing is just walking away.

In retrospective sum, I see the great things accomplished, but I'm sure that my brain is deliberately hiding from me the traumas we were subjects of. I appreciate the experience so far, my classmates and the opportunity. And I'm ready for the next phase of the learning and hopeful I didn't learn too much, or too little.

image

 

Cause the next "step" is coming....and it's a doozie!