Thursday, September 25, 2008

Teaching 101

imageDon't change the rules. Don't lie deliberately or accidentally. Assume that the students are engaged and listening and pondering on every word in order to find out how to be successful. Create success pathways, and then stick to them. Consider the challenges of medical school in and of themselves, the shear volume of information and the fact that yours is NOT the only class, as much as you would try to think otherwise. Understand that trickery is not education, and that there really is a right way too teach and organize the learning experience, independent from your knowledge of the subject. Try to find out how to do that and stop scoffing at the possibility that you may need to learn to teach.

image The rules of engagement changed today in one of the classes. The success pathway, how to do well in this class, and this subject matter were altered today...3 days before the exam. I am so angry right now. I have got to get over this set back, but it changes the rules for Monday significantly and I need to change my tactic for studying for the next 72 hours. I'll figure it out and I'll make it happen, but this was so avoidable. And while accidental, this is a teacher driven world, regardless of their ability to teach, and I'm so tired of us, and THEM operating in this mode. It's counterproductive to learning and retention and demeans the process. But it is what it is...and Monday will come whether I am ready or not...so I'll get ready, and do what I have to do.

Why is it that the further you climb the educational ladder the worse "teaching" gets? Just because you are the expert in any given area or field, doesn't make you a teacher.  Better, lets' just do away with teachers all together, tell me when the exam is, what to read to get there, and I'll go home and teach myself. I don't think Dr. Stead was too far off..."medical school can be done at home." When mandatory attendance becomes a sentence rather than a valuable experience, it's a waste.

AhhhhhhhhNnnnnaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmm....