Monday, September 22, 2008

Inconvenience

image "I never feel sorry for the doctor. The sick NEVER inconvenience the well." - Dr. Eugene Stead, Steadisms p.17 #18

I am becoming so sick of hearing of the shortage of physicians in one breath, and hearing all the obstacles gaining more providers in the next breath.  Physician groups lately have loudly proclaimed the problems with "other" providers (recent articles I've read).

There are so many forces in the world of physician leadership that would have the populace feel sorry for them. I understand the business of medicine better than most, although I don't have the answers, but to hear the AMA plead that they are the downtrodden is pathetic and counter to serving the sick.  I know that we all have the potential to fall into that trap. It is possible to buy into the organized control that physicians have on medicine and the outright mythology out there about who should be doing what to whom. Control. That's what it is really all about.

I am hopeful that I will never be inconvenienced in anyway to working for the good of the sick. That extends beyond the daily, physician to patient imageencounters, and moves into how we conduct ourselves in organized medicine. It is imperative that organizations move together toward the common good and cease the territorial tire-pissing that has become so entrenched. After all, it is all about one thing, access to care. For God's sake, let 'em practice! There are plenty of sick to go around for everyone. I will create no detours or barriers.