Saturday, September 27, 2008

Feed the Spirit

Capricorn -You're feeling a bit nostalgic or curious and need to connect with someone who lives (or is temporarily staying) far away. Try to make sure that you're keeping the right attitude toward the endeavor.

------------------------

I was flipping thru AM TV, getting ready for the day of study after my run. As is the case on Statia TV, there is plenty of religion to choose from and I sometimes stop and listen to the many assorted programs and teachers on various spiritual topics. As I flipped the channels I saw a familiar vision and stopped. It was Jerusalem.

There have been few happenings in my life more significant than going to Israel, the center of several major religions. And whether you believe in God or not, it is truly amazing what Israel can do to your sense of yourself and of history. It's no secret to those who know me that this is the case with me.image

The flashes of scenes from Bethlehem, Jerusalem, the  Judean Desert, Masada, the Dead Sea, the Sea of Galilee, the Golan Heights and the valley below, the Jordan River, the Church of the Holy Sephlecre, and many others bring back strikingly clear memories and sensations. The most profound to me was the scene on TV of the marketplace and surrounding "life" in Jerusalem.

imageLike a private physiology experiment, the vision stimulated my frontal lobes and my memory centers connected to all of my six, or five (depending on who you read) senses. I could smell the food, hear the noises, feel the air, hear the sounds...Some wonderful memories with the people I love and loved most in the world (some missing). It is those times that fill my spirit, and awaken periodically to put into perspective what it is I'm doing here, on earth and on this island.

Oxymoron: Synagogue, named for the biggest anti-semite in history, written in Arabic! And Jerusalem is not a perfect place. It's filled with oxymorons, morons and deep seated hatreds that are completely counter to God's word, but in that and the visions I saw on TV today, there is some hope.

"You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you" (Psalm 86:5).

It's amazing how spiritual you become after and during significant life events, and during major examinations. I fed my body at breakfast, and fed my spirit...I am ready for the day and for exams, with God's help and the right attitude toward the endeavor...like everything we commit to do. Ok, back to the science of the body...t-minus two days till all day testing. Ugh!