Monday, June 30, 2008

Reading Break

I know that I'm a bit aberrant, but I actually "read" on reading day (today). I've got one more midterm and I read both textbook yesterday and today. Great information, but I may never dive again. Just kidding.

Hyperbaric medicine is a fascinating venture into the common understanding of the application of hyperbarics (high pressure) and hyperbaric oxygen or HBO (high pressure infused with oxygen). The applications are most commonly associated with the "bends" (decompression imagesickness) but many more maladies are approved for HBO including:  Air or gas embolism, Carbon monoxide poisoning, Cyanide Poisoning, Clostridal Myositis and Myonecrosis, Gas gangrene, Crush Injury, Compartment syndrome, Acute Traumatic Ischemias, Decompression sickness, Enhancement of Healing in Selected Problem Wounds, Exceptional Blood Loss, Intracranial Abscess, Necrotizing Soft Tissue Infections like Necrotizing fasciitis, Osteomyelitis, Delayed Radiation Injury, Skin Grafts & Flaps and Thermal Burns.

The unique environment that is Statia, and some of the best diving around, and my experience has made this venture very interesting. Not only have I gained much knowledge about the application of this technology in medical care, I've also learned bunches about my own dive safety. For example, I never understood the connection between pre and post dive exertion (exercise) and the bends. Now I do. As a result, I did not go diving on Saturday after hiking the volcano (2000 foot climb). So it is, I become more safer via education. I wish all of my classes had such direct application. Clearly embryology doesn't have the same appeal.