Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Good Dementia

I've got a good kind of slowly progressive dementia. 15 minutes after I walk out a really nice drug company marketing lunch or dinner, I totally forget what the product was. That's not comforting to those who run the multimillion dollar marketing divisions of major pharma.

But I have noticed an "imprint" that happens after attending one of these functions for a drug in which I know not other in the class. When I go to prescribe a drug in that class, I can smell the food that was brought, and immediately think of (at least a photo) of the drug or label. So at some level, as hard as I might try to forget or ignore the hype, I may be more prone to wrote for that drug. That's not good.

My Escape Fire is likely to be, no more free lunches or dinners. I might actually lose a few pounds and stave off this metabolic syndrome I'm working toward. Maybe I'll even reverse my low grade dementia.