Saturday, September 1, 2012

Tragic Loss in Twitterland

I'm sort of numb to this sort of stuff. Too many people have died around me on or around cars and motorcycles. Yet a couple of weeks ago, on a winding road in California, a man from the UK on a rented motorbike was killed. And I felt a great loss.

I'd never actually met Ian, but I've been following him, literally, for several years on Twitter. He and his friends posted some very witty observations about life and social media. I stumbled upon he and his friend Corrine one day, searching for motorcycle tweets. They were enthusiasts, like me. They were living life and chatting to each other and friends about upcoming plans for a great adventure on a bike to Northern Africa. I was hooked.

I began to take great interest in their lives and how they figured out work, school, moving, dissertations, social media, politics, cigars, drinking beer and fine liquor, foods, motorcycles and a host of other topics...just living. I felt a bit like a voyeur when I'd catch @Peregr1n chatting with @PolarIceQueen. I felt every ache she felt when they wrecked their bike in Africa and broke her wrist.

And I suspect that my attraction and fascination is not unusual on Twitter for others as they view other people's lives on Twitter or other social media.But what made this unique, I think, was the candor and unique perspective Ian had for social media as a user, and as an IT professional in Europe. His wit, intelligence, humor and sophisticated perspective oozed from the tweets and made me chuckle regularly. I particularly appreciated the love and real friendship between him and his friend Corinne, something many never achieve and only yearn for.

I've been so, so busy, that I've not been on social media much. It's been a challenge to get to the grocery store let alone keep up with Twitter. But I had a break to do just that and check in with Ian and Corinne. And that's where I found out about Ian's death, and Corinne's loss and devastation. The last thing he wrote about was trying to figure out the gas and gauge operation of his rented bike. 2 weeks ago, Ian (@peregr1n) wrote:

"Oh if someone could tell me how to view the fuel gauge on the Ducati Monster 696's digital display I'd be very grateful!"

He must have been hit by that pick up truck right after that tweet. I hope it wasn't a stupid tweet distraction that got him killed.

I read later where she had to fly to California to "bring him home". I can't imagine the loss Corinne feels, but actually felt a little part of that myself. And the irony is not lost on me that I was just looking at Ducati motorcycles in the cycle trader the other day, thinking about it. But worst will be the loss to his friends, colleagues, and Corinne. I know nothing can remove the pain and shock of this, but I hope that there comes comfort and great knowing how Ian affected others. RIP @Peregr1n , RIP. I for one, will miss you.