Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanks Giving

Thanks for LIFE. I get to walk out this morning, into the cool air, and see the work of God all around me.  4201 "kids" don't get to do that since they died in Iraq, and Afghanistan.  Holly McGeogh, 19 y/o died whenimage her vehicle was hit by an explosive device in Kirkuk, Iraq (Photo: Holly & Mom).  

Thanks for health; the kind that sometimes is puzzling as people my age get sick or die. I shouldn't complain about the cool water temperature...I get to feel it.

Thanks for family and the love and support I feel from them every day.  I am blessed with both my parents, my brothers and their families and an extended family that surprises me daily with unconditional love. I can never repay the support I have felt from them, even when they didn't feel like it. I can only hope to do the same for them.

Thanks for food.  I never go to bed hungry. I never have to worry about where the next meal will come from or if it's really safe to eat. I have access to clean, drinkable water. The United Nations estimates that 1/2 of the worlds population has no access to clean water within a day's walk.

Thanks for shelter and clothing. I am covered from the elements and then some. Thanks for intelligence and good grades. Thanks for motivation, sanity, and foresight. Thanks for forgiveness.image

When a sense of gratitude enters we allow memory of the thousands of fortunate moments and blessings in our lives.  It's not always easy, particularly with the bad habit tendency to remember the bad things.  Thanks giving should not be a one day event. It is a skill that must be practiced every single day of our lives.  It can be benefit throughout the year and rightfully should be.

I'm sorry that I won't be home for Thanksgiving and spend it those that I love. But I am so thankful no matter where I am or who I'm with.