Monday, August 3, 2009

The End of the Season

image The end of summer, and my time here, is almost over. Summerfest ends today. The parades this past weekend heralded the end of the Carnivale season and the end of summer. Only a few weeks more til finals this term and I can already feel "break" ahead. Time to really hit the books hard for cumulative final exams.

It is also nearly the end of my "season" here. As I left immigration with my new annual "license" to be here, I realized I've been here over a year and that my time is imagecoming to an end. The tell tale sign? My old immigration permit was punched with three huge "invalidation"  holes punctuate the end of one year.  National U.S. boards will be upon me soon enough and clinical rotations will begin the trek toward M.D. hood.

It was a busy weekend with lots of end of summer events, some amazing diving and lots of thoughts about life beyond Caribe medical school. It's been an amazing experience. I'll miss it.

There was a series of amazing "fly overs" this past weekend of both the shuttle (before in landed) and the Space Station. The night is so dark and filled with stars that the view was amazing. Note to self: Walk up slowly on free ranging donkey encountered on night time walks to view the Space Station flying by. They spook easily, protect their young, and don't like humans much.

image