Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Crunch

The week before exams, people change. Beyond the nervousness of the exams and content, this time there is an air of "I've got no clue how this prof tests". The field of medicine is so huge, even within the course disciplines and testing shouldn't be a guessing game. This exam, for many of us in all the terms, it is. So beyond the content, which isn't hard, is the unknown of new teachers and methods (changed mid-term). Students are more isolated, and pensive this block and frankly I don't blame them. It's crunch time...with an edge.

image

But I went swimming in the Caribbean today and saw my first octopus...a big Caribbean Reef Octopus. Beyond the exercise and getting the "stress" out of my shoulders and working out, the thrill of the animal was amazing. I actually spotted him when a stingray (a common sight where I was) cruised by him and they scared each other. The ballistic movement of both  threw up some sand and caught my eye. It was cool and got my mind off "crunch", even for a moment.

image