Friday, May 2, 2008

Match 2008

I now join the ranks of "U.S. Citizen Students/Graduates of International Medical Schools" category (assuming I graduate) for the "match". In about 4 years, and after many exams including USMLE 1 and 2, I'll throw in my hat to find a post graduate residency program.

image

This year was interesting. 2969 graduates in this classification applied and 1541 matched (52%) in all specialties. 94% of U.S. citizen/U.S. grads (allopathic programs) matched. What is more interesting is that non-US applicants filled over 50% of positions in primary care (Family Medicine, etc).  There is a huge growth in numbers of foreign trained physicians in primary care, but if you have been to the pediatrician, family practice doc, or similar...you know that.

For me, I think the key to success at any level is grades, real learning, board scores, and rotation placement and performance. While U.S. residency is certainly preferable, it is not out of the realm of possibility to do residency elsewhere around the world and could be an interesting prospect. Open minded and flexible, may be the course of choice. I certainly can't fit more on to my resume.